Friday, July 15, 2011

Lesson Four: Cameras need batteries

I learned this lesson the hard way.  My wife and I were watching the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetary when my batteries died.  Luckily, my camera also takes standard AA batteries so I got some at the souvenir shop so I could continue shooting the rest of the day but I missed getting pictures of the changing of the guard.  So, before you head out to take photos, make sure you charged your camera batteries the night before. 

More than likely, your camera came with one battery.  You'll definitely want to invest in a second one.  You can probably get a generic battery for your camera on Amazon.com for about $20.  Keep in mind that there are several factors that determine how long your battery will last.  If you have your LCD screen on, your batteries will drain a lot faster than if you didn't.  If you use flash, that will drain your batteries more quickly.  If you are shooting in a cold environment, your batteries will drain faster than shooting in a warm enviroment.  The older your battery is, the faster it will drain.  Keep all of this in mind before you leave so you'll know how many batteries you'll need to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment